Life or Death, Funeral or Homegoing?


As I look at life, I also look at death knowing that we will all die someday.  Some of us will die sooner than others, but even in that, I have to ask many of you whether you have lived on earth or are you a part of a crowd called "The Walking Dead?"  As I sat in my dental chair years ago, my very wealthy White client brought something to my attention.  He said that Black Americans are taught that they will experience life's riches upon death and that White people tend enjoy life while living and before meeting death.  I began to ask myself, "Are you living?"  As I even sit and ponder these thoughts now, I have to say that I have lived and yes, I want to live some more.  I want to experience the best that life has to offer.  Though I am living, I  continuously meet so many people who I consider "The Walking Dead."  These people tend to have no hope, no inspiration, and no life though they are considered living because blood is flowing in their veins and oxygen is in their lungs. 


Even though I have lived and I expect to receive more of life's best, I know that I will kiss death sooner than later.  Afterall, I am only promised a certain amount of years on earth.  When I am in my casket, many will say that they are coming to my funeral so I must correct you now, you will be coming to my homegoing.  A funeral is for people who have not lived their authentic life and a homegoing is a celebration of life.  I don't want boring music and a boring speech, but I want dancing, singing, and a speech that will have you feeling empowered and inspired to live your best life.  I know that I cannot reach all of you, but as I continue my journey of the living, I want you to know that you can experience life's best even now.  It doesn't matter if you messed up.  It doesn't matter that you were on drugs.  It doesn't matter that you have a terminal illness.  It doesn't matter that as a child your innocence was taken away from you.  I am not saying that these things didn't hurt you, effect you, and/or shaped your destiny, but I am saying that even in your pain, you can decide to live an abundant life.  You can encourage and inspire others to live and as you do so, your healing will manifest.  And hope will come knocking at your door because you will see others change right before your eyes.  Are you experiencing life or death?  And will people come to your funeral or will they attend your homegoing?  You still have a choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment